Saturday, July 23, 2011

Gertrude and Alice


Favorite ad of the week: Huge downsizing sale for Jim and Dot Francis. At the big two-story "haunted house" in Warrensville on Staggs Creek Rd.

This morning found the Rosies meeting at Crystal Gayle's sale (yes, that was her real name. Apparently, her father loved Crystal Gayle the musician and named her in honor of the long haired singer)off of Roby Green Rd. They had excellent yellow fat-lettered hand made signs! This was their first time hosting a sale and they had some nice items. I found a fabulous vintage hand beaded purse for $3 and a few mismatched Mikasa dishes for a .25 a piece.

We decided to go to Kalmia Acres for a trio of sales, but got diverted by a sign near Perkinsville rd. ended up at Mike's Inland Seafood Lot. I picked up a vintage cowboy shirt from a brave woman having a garage sale and caring for her 2 month old infant at the same time. She was there to sell all of her clothes that would no longer fit--bless her heart. Next to her a family was set up on a flat bed trailer. I walked by and noticed a glass pipe on a Crown Royal bag and another one on the bed of the truck. I asked the mother about the blue blownglass pipe and she referred me to her 20 something ish son. He quickly and gladly came right over to me and began his sales pitch. He handed me the pipes and said they were as clean as a whistle holding them up to the sky and he only wanted $20 a piece on them. "At a head shop, they would be at least $50", he assured me. He wanted these out of his possession, I could tell. I told him that I would think about it:)
Off to Kalmia Acres, where we found our own local version of "carmeggedon"--some woman decided to park her minivan in the middle of the road. Come on folks, let's show a tiny bit of consideration for others--please. Needless to say, we pulled the sleeping baby, car seat and all, out of the truck and began walking up the hill to the first of the three neighboring sales. "Moving sale" it said in the front yard. Usually, that is a good sign. Not in this neighborhood I guess. $80 for a used car seat--hmmmmm--I bought mine new for $50. There were no deals to be had here. But I did manage to run into rosebud Wendy and got to introduce her to rosebaby Hank:) Next door, we found more reasonable prices a couple of items.
Off to the 4 college boys moving sale from the craigslist ad. As we passed Miller Industries, I saw the black mannequin and asked my husband to pull over. No luck!Bummer. Thankfully, Rosie W. was behind us and she swept in for the buy. $2 later our Gertrude now has her Alice:) A quick Skateworld stop finds my appliance guy Scott selling his record collection and my husband scores Alice's Restaurant and Big Brother and the Holding Company on vinyl.

Burl Lawrence Road turn on Yasmine --238 said the voice on the cel phone.......waiting waiting waiting--they finally show up to open up a beautiful rental home that has been inhabited by a bunch of college boys---picture it. Exactly. We had chased this sale down and my husband walked out with an App State flag for $10.

All for all, the hunt went well this late July morning. Happy Hunting everyone--we will see you out there! Till next week Rosie P.

1 comment: