Friday, May 13, 2011

Damascus City Wide 2011


The Tibetan Book of the Dead (paperback), and a VHS tape, “Yard Sales”, a skit by Phyllis Diller, were two of the handful of items I found at this year’s trek to Damascus, VA for the Citywide Yard Sale. My rickety rolling cart was only half full by day’s end.

This year found me “off my game”, having been robbed of all my cash the day before after leaving my purse in the car during a hike on Whitetop Mountain. You avid thrifters know what I mean when you’re having an “off” day…the treasures seem to stay hidden, you feel overwhelmed, and you miss some good scores due to procrastination. Riding in the backseat down VA Hwy 58 was not a plus for mental acuity either.

My first stop was the B&B on Main Street where Rosie P. found the infamous velvet chartreuse sofa last year. Still the warm and welcoming sellers, but this year’s couch was a tattered sofa bed, with zippo appeal. These folks always have great stuff, but the pickings were slim this year, although I did score a lovely dress that will serve me well for a Fall wedding.

For old time’s sake, we did hang out on the beige sofa bed for a photo, just like last year, with the blooming rhododendron backdrop, but it was nothing like the photo shoot on the charming chartreuse divan. Well, I DID hold up my copy of The Tibetan Book of The Dead for color….

My companions, husband and our pal Jim from Durham, wanted to lollygag and walk at a slower pace so it didn’t take me long to ditch those two guys and begin a frantic scan of the town hauling my noisy rolling cart up and down the side streets. Biggest disappointment was finding that my favorite seller last year was not set up this year. It was her house where I’d found the Paul Klee print and scores of funky clothing, jewelry, and music….SO, “wushhhhhhh” goes the wind from my sails.

I’d been procrastinating about a green boiled wool purse, made in Ireland, tags still attached for $5 that’d I’d left a few streets back. Off I gallop, rolling cart screeching over the pavement, and, “Wushhhhhhh…..” again, SOLD.

See what I mean about being off my game?

At least I can report that I did find a few things for Rosie P., a plastic bagful of silverware and a retro plate, both of which were purchased after I posed the question, “would you take…..” which worked for those items, but not for the hugely funky Bakelite clip on earrings. Seller was firm with $4. There are some things I can live without.

My finale was getting back to my car and finding the doors locking and unlocking, lights going off and on….Me standing on Main Street looking all around in puzzlement, and my two companions (both men in their 60’s) hiding behind the bushes having a great time watching my confusion. Alas, Damascus, 2011.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry it wasn't so good for you. I do know what you mean about having the off days; I have those too. Oh, you should know by now that maturity and chronological age in males don't match and there's a mathematical formula (I'm sure) that explains how that ratio changes even more when you multiply the number of males. LOL

    ReplyDelete