Thursday, April 29, 2010

Label Whores


Label Whores



We are “Label Whores”. When “thrifting”, we dive to grab clothing made by our favorite companies.


Our top picks are FLAX, April Cornell, Eileen Fisher, Patagonia, Kavu, Royal Robbins, Gramicci, J. Jill, Cut Loose, Russ Berens, Nomadic Traders, Aly Wear, Ex Officio, Chicos, and Banana Republic. We will be posting “Dozen Roses” moments when we find these.


We won’t pass up a good J. Crew, Polo, Saks, Bloomingdales, Liz, Lands End, or Talbots. The aforementioned don’t reflect our more bohemian tastes, but these finds can be passed on to friends and family (great gifts). We WILL buy Gap, especially the children’s line, although quality and concern about the company’s labor practices are reason for pause.


Madison Studio, Sag Harbor, and Rafella are Belk brands. Usually made in China, and “okay” if unique or in top shape. Dress Barn, Alolfo, White Stag, Bill Blass, The Limited, Old Navy, Worthington, and Cato are in this category as well. We will rarely post about finding any of these brands.


Faded Glory, George, and Jaclyn Smith are Big Box brands. We don’t consider these to be “finds”. So “caution” to those having a sale and expecting big returns on these brands. Let ‘em go cheap!


It’s a sure bet that we will grab any Hannah Andersen or Boden children’s clothing.


Shoes have to be in excellent condition. If we ever find Earth, Dansko, Birkenstock or Keens in good condition it’s a “dozen roses moment”.


We post this with the intent that “Rosebuds” will add their favorite brands to the list. We would love to learn about special boutique brands from our followers. You ask, we find!


1 comment:

  1. Ok. Just for the record.. I am not a label whore. ;-) It's the last thing I look at (when buying used). Well.. wait. Actually, that's not entirely true. I check the content/material label to determine whether the item is vegan friendly, and when I do that, I do notice the brand label. Also, I will take the brand into consideration when deciding whether I should pay higher than Thrift Shop prices (as recently, for a pair of sweet linen trousers for (gulp) $25!.. the brand is Elie Tahari. Anyone? Yeah.. me neither ;-). I did scour my last two thrift trips for their labels, so I can play this here label game. Here's what I've recently determined.. I sure get a lot of Gap, Old Navy and J Crew crap! Sheesh. What that says about me, I'm not sure I want to know. So be it. More labels I've ended up with:

    Fossil
    Express
    Calvin Klein Jeans
    Comme Il Faut
    H&M
    Banana Republic

    I'm a fit/material whore, more than anything else. If it fits well, and the color/material is something I can live with/in, I buy it.

    ReplyDelete