Friday, August 13, 2010

Why the Church Rummage Sale?



Why the Church Rummage Sale?


I, Rosie P., was recently asked this question by one of our devout Rosebuds and it got me thinking….. typically, when I am making my weekly route, I place the church rummage sale at the top or very close to the top of my list. Is this a rational decision or an emotional one? In my mind, the church rummage has a wide variety of individuals donating to it; therefore, a better chance of striking it lucky. More to sell and all in one place. Seems like a no brainer to me. Also, I appreciate that churches have sales to fund mission trips, new roofs, or as fundraisers for local charities. This all suits my sense of a “good cause.” Sometimes, this assumption does not pan out and church sales can be a big bummer, but I still go. This is the emotional part of the church rummage. Coming from the Midwest, where Catholics and Lutherans abound, the church rummage sale was a part of my religious, cultural experience. It was a very popular way for churches to make money. I grew up on the Illinois side of St. Louis, Mo. in what would now be called a suburb. Thirty years ago, it was just a cozy German Catholic town settled on the bend of the Mississippi River. With a population of 35,000 and over a dozen Catholic Churches, the rummage sale was something that my grandma had marked on her calendar year after year. This was my thrifting boot camp, where I learned not only about the sense of a faith community, but also about the true meaning of the bag sale, how to dig through piles of clothes, roll them up tightly, shove them in a plastic bag, and fill up the trunk of the Chevy Nova with all of our finds. I remember those days with a huge smile on my heart. Of course, I do not hold all church rummage sales in such high esteem as those from my early years.
At times, I would assert that some churches suffer from the annual “Church Rummage Sale Fatigue” (CRSF). I propose that many factors play into fatigue. A bad economy plays a definite role. The same members putting it on year after year, the same households giving to the event, people run out of things to donate and this creates a less satisfying shopping experience for the yard saler as well as less income for the church. This can then create a downward spiral. Anyone who has orchestrated one of these sales knows the importance of good advertising, good pricing, organized display, quality items, and a wide selection. Once the donations begin to slip, it is hard to get back on the right track. Yard salers know that CRSF has set in. Solutions might include an every other year sale with rotating committee members and an ongoing storage space for donations that might fall on the off years.
In closing, church rummage sales will always be close to my heart as they were the avenue that let me cut my teeth as a young hunter gatherer. Even when I think that the church is too small or they are showing telltale signs of CRSF, I will be there with money in my pocket and a hopeful spirit. Happy Hunting folks! I will see you at the next rummage sale.

Rosie W.'s Church Sale Overview

Church sales during the 2010 Season have been less exciting than usual, and I am putting all my eggs in the St. Luke’s basket for Saturday. This church always hosts a sale with little treasures and great variety, although in recent years their decision to eliminate clothing has been a disappointment.
I share with Rosie P. the sentiment about giving a church sale priority over a private sale since it is guaranteed abundance with donations coming from church members. The down side is that I err on the side of purchasing more simply to support a good cause. There’s always someone who benefits from these impulsive moments, right?
So, St. Luke’s , get ready, we’re headed for the dishes, linens, jewelry, and art first, then round it out by viewing this year’s selection of plants and books with a quick sweep around the silent auction and a few munchies from the food booth.
And this sale will be held rain or shine they say……

2 comments:

  1. So what did you find... I would like to be
    one of your personal shoppers for kool dishes

    ReplyDelete
  2. pamela,
    I found a set of 6 vintage plastic dishes that I liked and 3 pristine tablecloths. I don't usually buy plastic, but I want to make a Rosie picnic basket and thought those would be perfect. Did you make it to the sale?

    ReplyDelete