Thursday, June 3, 2010

Memorial Day Mis-Adventures

It was the sign. My heart sank, and I felt duped. The sign ( no color or pizzaz) was obviously one that has been reused many a time for a Yard Sale and I knew that chances for finding a treasure were slim. I followed the arrows anyway; drove up and down, around and around, finally ending up on a beautiful ridge top dotted with lovely homes. Sure enough, the sale was a wash out with everything way too neatly arranged, sterile, and awfully over priced. And I had driven miles beyond town for this one. Not good.
Even with this one a bust I gambled on one more sale on the back roads. Mistake number two. Deeper and darker I went into the countryside; the road turned to gravel, but eventually I found the spot nestled back in a holler. This sale at least had a “free” box so I picked up some plates for a friend, and feeling a tad guilty about taking something for free I bought a ceramic chip and dip platter.
These wasted hours followed an early morning arrival at the Boone Methodist sale where I stood in line with the crowd until the doors opened at 7:30 am. The initial “rush” of the hunt soon turned to disappointment .The usual treasures that one expects to find as an early bird customer were just not there. One signed print for $2 is the best I can boast for a bargain. Books were plentiful at this sale, but a strange range of subjects; biography of Pope John Paul XXIII and Manual for Animal Control Laws to name a few. I did return to the sale late Saturday morning when prices were reduced and I managed to stuff a bag for $5. While I stuffed, one of the ladies commented, “you look like you know what you’re doing”. Oh, if she ONLY knew. Bag sales mean that you have to master the art of tightly rolling up clothing to get your money’s worth, and these are the sales that I end up stuffing the bags with items for friends near and far.
The High Country Caregivers sale was “okay”, but again no treasures. The stuff a bag was $2 there and the best item I found was a beautiful FLAX top (not my size) that will go to a friend.

Overall, this season is not starting off with a bang in the High Country. Even the local thrift stores don’t seem to have the usual abundance of treasures. The economy maybe, or is it that the Rosies are just getting more selective? We will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment